NEW YORK, NY—It’s almost time to start your spring cleaning! In addition to de-cluttering and cleaning your home this spring, make safety a priority and rid your home of potential hazards. The Window Covering Safety Council wants to help you keep your little ones safe this season. While some safety measures are routine, there are some potential dangers that you may be overlooking that can be dangerous for young children. You can help prevent unintentional household injuries by taking these simple measures to reduce danger in your home:
- Always keep cribs and other low-standing furniture away from windows.
- Secure all bookcases, shelving and heavy furniture. Place heavier items on lower shelves and in bottom drawers.
- Many houseplants are poisonous, and pots are heavy, so keep them out of reach of little hands.
- Keep children away from areas you are cleaning and open windows to ventilate the room.
- Safely store house cleaners, detergents and poisons out of reach of children.
- Replace older window coverings with today’s safer, cordless products. The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is urging parents to only use cordless window products in homes with young children. Make the right choice and use cordless products to keep your children safe year-round.
To learn more about window-cord safety, or to order free retrofit kits, go to the Window Covering Safety Council’s web site at www.windowcoverings.org, or phone toll-free at 1-800-506-4636.
The Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC) is a coalition of major U.S. manufacturers, importers and retailers of window coverings. The Council assists and supports its members in the industry’s ongoing efforts to encourage the use of cordless products in homes with young children, its redesign of corded products, and to support the national ANSI/WCMA standard for the safety of corded window coverings. WCSC’s activities in no way constitute an assumption of any legal duty owed by its members or any other entity. Consumers having need to retrofit rather than replace their older window coverings can order free retrofit devices through WCSC’s website at www.windowcoverings.org or its toll-free phone line at 1-800-506-4636